Comparing Quotes – Staircases & BalustradeJanuary 17, 2017
When you are comparing quotes, it is important to know the products and materials that have been quoted. Keep in mind that you need to compare apples with apples, comparing the total price of your quotes shouldn’t be the deciding factor. You should always compare the description or the body of your quote.
Here is a few questions you can ask or look for when comparing quotes when comparing quotes:
- Is the material the same? – Different timber types and steels all vary in prices. Hardwood timbers also vary in price, so make sure your comparing correctly.
- Is the timber grade the same? – You could have one quote for select-grade timber and another for standard-grade timber. Select-grade is better and will be more expensive.
- Is the travel from both businesses the same distance? – You may be located in Melbourne and are comparing a quote from a business local to you and a quote from a business located in Geelong. Travel will be a factor when working out a quote as well as tolls, parking etc. Therefore the quote from Geelong will be more expensive.
- Is the steel grade the same?- Some businesses may use different grades of steel, and different metal products such as mild steel, stainless steel, aluminium. The cost for each varies in price so keep an eye on this.
- Where are your products coming from? – Is the steel you have been quoted imported from China? Steel imported from China can be of poor quality. When comparing quotes it is important to know where your material is coming from. (We learned the hard way that not all steel is the same. We found Chinese steel had more impurities than Australian steel).
- What is included? – Sometimes some of the smaller detail in your stair isn’t included in the description. Be sure to ask what else may or may not be included in your quote. Does the quote include glue blocks, screws, wedges, sanding, finish, tread protectors etc.
- Is the style of staircase and balustrade the same? – A Vic Ash full stringer closed staircase with stainless steel and glass balustrade is not the same as a pine cut-stringer open staircase with stainless steel wire. We can provide you with a photo of the products we are quoting or alternatively you can visit our displays. Read more about staircase styles on our blog Staircase Styles – Geelong Stairs .
If you do not understand your quote make sure you contact us. We can work with you to arrange a time to talk to you about your quote and show you our displays. This will give you a better indication of what has been quoted. Feel free to bring in a quote to compare and we can work out the differences together.